Thursday, August 27, 2009

My favorite painters


The Maine Discovery Museum's asked 60 Maine artists to paint butler tables with trays for this year's annual auction called, "Tray Chic". What a clever name!
Last year my dog theme was a great success on a bench but this time I wanted to pay homage to painters who's work I admire very much. I have a small library of art books, so two books were chosen for the tray top..There will be a little surprise under the tray on the table top..and that come's later.
Trompe l'oeil, or "fool the eye", is a painting technique that looks three dimensional and I wanted the books to look real...even the tattered edges were added on the upper left corner of the book "Wonderous Strange", that features work by Howard Pyle, N.C. Wyeth, and Andrew and Jamie Wyeth.... one of my most often used reference books. The book of Remington's nocturnal paintings is just amazing..he was so good at capturing the subtleties of night light, regardless of the subject matter.
I'll post more info about bidding on the auction tables as November draws near, which is when the bidding will end. There will be on line bidding for those who can't view them in person at the museum or who can't attend the opening reception and the link will be provided here.
I used cornflower blue as the base color for this piece.
Nothing like a good book to read.

2 comments:

Marie Theron said...

Hi Karen, I bet people will try to 'remove' the books before putting tea in this tray! An excellent example of tromp l'oeil!

klp said...

Thanks Marie..These painting projects are so much fun to do...actually, more relaxing than my "serious" work.